For those of us who live in cold winter climates, the life gets nearly sucked out of our skin on a daily basis. Below freezing temps & wind coupled with over-heated homes & offices halt the production of our naturally protective sebum [skin oil] and evaporates the water from our bodies. The result is skin that looks like the Bonneville Salt Flats, is irritable and prone to red rashes.
Simple measures at home, though, can erase this effect. Keeping a good moisturizer on morning and night help maintain the skin but once it has lost it’s natural protective barrier then it needs treatment. There is a mistake made by scrubbing away the visible dead skin cells; this only irritates the skin further. The reintroduction of water to the surface cells then sealed in with sebum-like oil is what is needed. The dry, dead skin cells will naturally release once the foundation of the skin is conditioned.
Following are a few facials that you can give yourself at home using my therapeutic products but you can also use substitutions if you are not able to acquire them from me.
Quick Fix Shower Steam
- Apply a thick layer of Emolulite Cleanser to the face & neck while showering. The glycerine in it absorbs the water from the air to plump the skin, the squalene oil in it clings to water too & conditions the skin naturally [because our skin’s own sebum contains squalene] and the blackberry seed oil feeds the skin with antioxidant protection.
- Remove cleanser with a warm wet washcloth. Skin will feel soothed and plumped! Apply moisturizer of choice.
- Substitutions: a mixture of honey and oil (be careful of thick, fatted oils that will clog the skin causing breakouts). This will produce a similar effect yet not as pleasing nor as scientifically beneficial.
Relaxation Tub Facial
- Draw a bath for yourself, step in and, if possible, pull the curtain or close the door around you to allow steam to build up in the air.
- Wash face/neck with Purify Frothing Cleanser.
- Apply a medium-thick layer of Pumpkin Creme Masque. Leave in place as your skin can tolerate, up to 8 minutes. This will gently remove dead skin cells and stimulate blood flow to encourage healthy skin renewal while keeping the skin moist. Remove product with a wash cloth and set aside. Splash face with tub water to remove entirely.
- Apply a medium-thin layer of Lemon Honey Butter masque. Leave in place for up to 15 minutes then splash off. Towel dry face/neck when leaving tub. Skin will be incredibly full and moist and rosy! Apply moisturizer of choice.
- Substitutions: On clean skin apply a mixture of honey and oil (be careful of thick, fatted oils that will clog the skin causing breakouts) then remove by scrubbing a bit with a warm wet washcloth. This will produce a similar effect yet not as pleasing nor as scientifically beneficial.
Walk-around in-a-hurry facial
- On clean skin apply a medium-thick layer of Maple Jolt Masque. Leave in place for up to 15 minutes. This masque is great used in the tub or shower but when in a hurry it is enhanced by body movement and even exercise! Benefits include stimulating blood flow to detox skin & encourage new cell growth and increase hydration in skin.
- Splash off with warm water and immediately, while skin is still slightly damp, apply 2 pumps of Glow and 5 drops of Top Dressing Oil. Once dry apply moisturizer over this as needed. Skin will be glowing and plumped. Any redness will dissipate within one hour.