I should have done this post about a month ago when the emails started rolling in; “HELP! I am breaking out!” But summer is not over yet and probably not the tendency for break outs. So here are the Why’s and Wherefore’s about them.
When the weather temperature rises humidity builds up in the skin – that “dewy” look. If this humidity becomes trapped on the skin it makes a perfect breeding ground for acne bacteria. The bacteria are always there but do not grow when it is exposed to oxygen. But with the use of heavy water-proof sunscreens or if you are still using your winter time products designed to keep the humidity in the skin, oxygen gets blocked and the warm, moist environment accelerates the growth of this bacteria causing break-outs.*
To fix the problem the skin needs to dry out. The pimples will subside, shrink and the damaged skin will flake off plus new pimples will not form.
- Use a foaming cleanser during the height of humidity and heat. I have traditionally dry skin but frequently use the Purifying Frothing Cleanser to deep clean and dry out the moist areas. I have a proclivity to break outs especially in the summer and the zeolite it contains help draw the impurities to deeper clean.
- Use medicinal clay masques to absorb oil and dry out the skin. I love, love, love my Terraflora smoothing and detoxifying Masque in the summer. The natural salicylic acid in the Blue Flag Root exfoliates, the ionic drawing properties in the clay and the healing herbal blend of essential oils detoxifies and leaves my skin silky smooth.
- Consider sleeping with a drawing paste on active blemishes. My Mineral Blemish Poultice is great for this and it is a staple in my families medicine cabinet.
- Ditch the oil-free silicone style make-ups and favor instead mineral powders or light mineral tints.
- Put away your winter moisturizers (save them in the refrigerator until you need it again) and try some other products that are lighter.
- Get a glycolic peel treatment.
Remember that at the end of the summer the skin is as thick as it will be all year so consider a deep cleansing facial to refresh sometime in September.
*exercising with make-up or heavy skincare can produce the same results.